A US soldier was killed and another was wounded in Kabul on Saturday, apparently in an attack by an Afghan soldier who was immediately shot dead, NATO said in a statement.
“According to preliminary reports, the attacker was a member of the Afghan Defense and Security Forces,” according to the NATO Resolute Support Mission statement.
He was shot dead by “other Afghan soldiers,” according to NATO.
The injured man was transferred to the Bagram military base for treatment. His condition is considered “stable”.
An investigation was opened on the episode, the third of its kind in less than three weeks in the country.
Other similar attacks
The Taliban claimed two other similar attacks in late October in Herat and Kandahar provinces.
In the latter, US General Scott Miller , commander of US forces and NATO in Afghanistan, had narrowly escaped the gunfire, which had cost the life of a powerful police chief.
US Secretary of Defense James Mattis said in September that training and verification of Afghan forces is being strengthened to minimize internal attacks.
Mr. Mattis added that some training and consulting operations were reduced during the safety assessment.
About 14,000 US servicemen are based in Afghanistan, where they make up the bulk of the Resolute Support mission to support and train the Afghan army.
More than 2,000 American soldiers have lost their lives in Afghanistan since the beginning of the war in 2001.
Ritta Valana is a reporter for Rise Media. Ritta has previously interned at VICE and worked as a reporter for MSNBC. Renata is based in Buffalo and covers issues affecting her city. In addition to her severe running addiction, she also enjoys knitting and Yoga.